Friday, July 31, 2009

Why I feel completely so-so right now


Actually i am miserably tired at the moment but the weekend is around the corner and for that i am grateful. The children seem to be on the mend although fragile and spring seems to be in the air. I woke up this morning and i could hear the birds singing outside my window and i felt just a little more alive. I am so glad that my seasonal visitors are flying back to our southern climes. I know that they are bring sunshine and light with them. If you have not picked up from my previous posts, i am a summer addict. My sons were both born in summer and Christmas, which happens right in the middle of the South African summer is in the middle of summer. Schools are closed, its beach holidays, Braaing on the verandah, swimming in the pool three times a day. I know that it will sound strange to all my Northern hemisphere friends but we have no comprehension of a winter christmas here at all. It is hot, hot, hot at christmas time. We comply with our British Colonial roots and cook huge hot meals and then retire to the couch for the rest of the afternoon to recover from the heat. But enough about Christmas....... you will hear so much more about that in November and December.

We are assisting my sister in law to move into her new house this weekend. Jason is going to help with the heavy lifting and I will stop over with some lunch later. I have made a gift for my Niece to help with the transition. A soft baby afghan, made from pure white baby wool and edged in pale pink. It is so pretty. I have bought a teddy to go with.

Talking of afghans, this is the last one that i finished. It is for me and I love it because i rarely make things for myself. When our wool shop had a winter sale, i forced myself to buy the most beautiful 100% cotton wool so that i could make something for myself this summer - a summer hat, or a shawl?


I also wanted to share the newest W addition - Gabby's new guitar. He loves it and has lessons three times a week at school. I hope to see him on MTV one day! His dad who always had rock star ambitions cannot be prouder.



So the W's are well. We really are. I need to remind myself of this sometimes because it is so easy to convince yourself that you are not. I can find every reasons to reflect on this week of illness and think: "I hate where i am right now!!!". But i dont. We are fine. Life isnt simple, but sick children, the dog chewing up your newspaper, your bathroom plant dying ..... these are just hiccups, insignificant. Kids get sick. Dogs chew. Pot plants die. Carefully planned suppers taste below standard. These are not measurements of quality of life. Safe homes. Loving families. Happy marriages. Good careers. Healthy loved baby boys. Financial health. These are! And we are doing ok.

So i challenge you to move out of the mundane and to reflect on the important today.

"People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. All is a miracle."

No comments:

Post a Comment