Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Looking back

Part of the joy that i get out of scrapbooking is that it allows me to reflect back on those that have come before me.  This becomes more and more important to me, especially as both my parents are deceased. I feel more of a responsibility to capture my roots for my children, knowing that they will never have the opportunity to hear about their roots from their grandparents.

When my mother died i inherited a large number of photos from her.  I never thought of my mom as sentimental, but looking at all the pictures she collected i realised that she was.  She keep hundreds of photos (although they were crammed into a dresser drawer in the dining room!)  I have started the long ardous process of working through them. Most of them are old, small and damaged and i have been sorting them to have them scanned in and printed.  These are my first round:
I love these photos of my parents.  They are in their early 20's here and not even married. My dad is on his way to the army for his basic service.
This is my father at my grandmother's house.  Am I the only one who loves to look at the background of old photos and see what i can see?  I love these old shots of my gran's kitchen!
And finally these are from a big family christmas party that was held at my grandparents house.  This must have been in the 60's.  I feel sad when i see the huge family that are gathered there. Most are deceased or have gone their seperate ways as families sometimes do.

I cant wait to scrap them...... I will share as soon as i am done!

2 comments:

  1. There's my mom sitting in the front! By Aunty Brenda and and Aunty Hazel (I think). Wow, it's an awesome picture, I think I want a copy. Most of these people are deceased, very sad. I dont see Oupa, he might have been taking the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Hope you share more.

    ReplyDelete